Resources for the Aged and Disabled
- AgingCare.Com - Connecting People caring for elderly parents
- Children of Aging Parents
- The Eldercare Locator-
- Federal Emergency Management Agency-
- National Council on Aging-
- National Family Caregivers Association (NFCA)-
- National Hurricane Center/National Weather Service-
- The Website for Family Caregiving Advocacy -
- American Association of Retired Persons -
- A Place for Mom: Trusted Senior living Advisors
- Assisted living guides
- Housing Tips and Advice from The National Aging in Place Council
- Preventing Falls at Home
- Fall Prevention Tips for Seniors A Home Design Guide
- Exercise & Physical activity: Your Everyday guide from the National institute on Aging
- The Benefits of Cooking with Alzheimer's: A Caregiver's Guide
- 14 Ways to Help Seniors Avoid Isolation-
- Depression in Older Adults and the Elderly-
- The Ultimate Guide to Rehab and Medicare-
- A Senior's Guide to Using Computers and Software-
- Economic Security for Seniors Facts-
- Home Safety and Security for Aging-in-Place Seniors -
- How to Care for Your Aging Parents from a Distance -
- Meals on Wheels America
- The Stress-Free guide to Selling an Inherited Home
- The ARC of Louisiana -
Mission: The Arc of Louisiana advocates with and for all people with intellectual and related developmental disabilities and their families so that they shall live to their fullest potential
- Louisiana Developmental Disabilities Council -
The goal of the Developmental Disabilities Council is to effectively implement the Developmental Disabilities Assistance and Bill of Rights Act of 2000 in Louisiana.
- Louisiana Independent Living Service Providers -
- Louisiana has three Centers for Independent Living Alzheimer's Association -
- Home Care Association of Louisiana -
- Department of Health and Hospitals -
- Louisiana Medicaid -
- Louisiana Office of Home Land Security -
- Louisiana State Government -
- Office of the Secretary of State -
Disaster/Emergency Related Resources -
- Children of Aging Parents -
- The Eldercare Locator -
- National Family Caregivers Association (NFCA) -
- National Council on Aging -
- The Website for Family Caregiving Advocacy -
US Federal Government Official Sites
- Center for Medicaid and Medicare Services -
CMS' Mission is to ensure effective, up-to-date health care coverage and to promote quality care for beneficiaries
- Administration on Community Living -
ACL is the Federal focal point and advocate agency for older persons and their concerns. In this role, ACL works to heighten awareness among other Federal agencies, organizations, groups, and the public about the valuable contributions that older Americans make to the Nation and alerts them to the needs of vulnerable older people. Through information and referral and outreach efforts at the community level, ACL seeks to educate older people and their caregivers about the benefits and services available to help them.
- Administration on Developmental Disabilities (ADD) -
The Administration on Developmental Disabilities (ADD) is the U.S. Government organization responsible for implementation of the Developmental Disabilities Assistance and Bill of Rights Act of 2000, known as the DD Act. ADD, its staff and programs, are part of the Administration for Children and Families, of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
- US Food and Drug Administration -
US Food and Drug Administration evaluates the safety profiles of drugs available to American consumers using a variety of tools and disciplines throughout the life cycle of the drugs. We maintain a system of postmarketing surveillance and risk assessment programs to identify adverse events that did not appear during the drug development process. We learn about adverse events through required reporting by companies and through voluntary reports submitted to FDA's MedWatch program, which together total more than 250,000 reports per year. Staff in the Office of Surveillance and Epidemiology use this information to identify drug safety concerns and recommend actions to improve product safety and protect the public health.
- National Council on Disability -
The National Council on Disability (NCD) is an independent federal agency making recommendations to the President and Congress to enhance the quality of life for all Americans with disabilities and their families. NCD is composed of 15 members appointed by the President and confirmed by the U.S. Senate
- US Department of Veterans Affairs -
US Department of Veterans Affairs' goal is to provide excellence in patient care, veterans' benefits and customer satisfaction. They have reformed their department internally and are striving for high quality, prompt and seamless service to veterans. The department's employees continue to offer their dedication and commitment to help veterans get the services they have earned. The nation's veterans deserve no less.
- Social Security Administration -
Social Security Administration' mission is to advance the economic security of the nation's people through compassionate and vigilant leadership in shaping and managing America's Social Security programs.
Other Useful Sites
- Benefits Check Up - Many older people need help paying for prescription drugs, health care, utilities and other basic needs. Ironically, millions of older Americans - especially those with limited incomes - are eligible for but not receiving benefits from existing federal, state and local programs. Ranging from heating and energy assistance to prescription savings programs to income supplements, there are many public programs available to seniors in need if they only knew about them and how to apply for them.
- Home Safety Council
The Home Safety Council® (HSC) is the only national nonprofit organization solely dedicated to preventing home related injuries that result in nearly 20,000 deaths and 21 million medical visits on average each year. Through national programs, partnerships and the support of volunteers, HSC educates people of all ages to be safer in and around their homes. The Home Safety Council is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization located in Washington, DC.